Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Historical Sew Fortnightly Plans

  • January – Foundations: make something that is the foundation of a period outfit.

    Well, originally I was going Bustle Era, cos that's the one Dh likes, but I've had feedback from 3 other people now and Regency is winning.   Bustle era will come later.   I'm currently prewashing my cotton duck for the corset which I'll make for this challenge.  I'm going to use the Sense and Sensibility stays pattern as I already have it. 
  • February – Colour Challenge Blue: Make an item that features blue, in any shade from azure to zaffre.

    I've got 4m of sky blue cotton voile which might work for Regency and I've got Simplicity 4055 which with some tweaking might work for a muslin robe.   I think I'll be making the view A bodice and the view B dress and it'll need to be underlined so it's not too see-through.
    Since posting this I've bought (thanks to my birthday voucher) 5m of a cotton/silk narrow striped fabric that would be lovely.
  • March – Stashbusting: Make something using only fabric, patterns, trims & notions that you already have in stash.

    The petticoat to go with the above outfit I think.  I have plenty of plain white cotton that I can use, old sheets come to mind.   It's possible they may have some poly in them, but they're old enough that they may well be 100% cotton too.
  • April – War & Peace: the extremes of conflict and long periods of peacetime both influence what people wear.  Make something that shows the effects of war, or of extended peace.

    Maybe a pelisse in the military style that was popular then, I've got the Sense and Sensibility pattern for this as well and hopefully some red, blue or green wool.  I know I have blue in a fulled wool anyway so this is covered
  • May – Practicality:  Fancy party frocks are all very well, but everyone, even princesses, sometimes needs a practical garment that you can DO things in.  Create the jeans-and-T-Shirt-get-the-house-clean-and-garden-sorted outfit of your chosen period.

    Hmm, for this one I'm not sure, I may even end up back in the eighteenth century for this one.   It'll be winter here in any case so something warm.  Thinking maybe a skirt and jacket.
    Another option I've thought of recently is an apron
  • June – Out of Your Comfort Zone: Create a garment from a time period you haven’t done before, or that uses a new skill or technique that you’ve never tried before.

    I think this may be the dress for the SCA side of things, I have some blue linen that would be perfect.
  • July – Accessorize: The final touch of the right accessory creates the perfect period look.  Bring an outfit together by creating an accessory to go with your historical wardrobe.

    Easy choice here, a goatskin fur muff.   I have the fur already and some satin to line it and I can use some wool roving to stuff it too or make some felt to use as the warm layer.
  • August – Heirlooms & Heritage: Re-create a garment one of your ancestors wore or would have worn, or use an heirloom sewing supply to create a new heirloom to pass down to the next generations.

    Maybe a beaded bag or reticule for this.   I could do a lace shawl as I'm working on a beaded circular shawl and although that's not suitable for the Regency period I'm sure I could fit it into the early 20th century somewhere.  If nothing else a wedding ring shawl, I've found an example of a circular shawl pattern dating to around 1900 in Weldon's Practical Needlework, vol 12.    If I finish it too early though I can always fall back on the quilt for our bed; it's machine sewn but I know quilts have been done through the ages to add warmth to beds.   I'll research before I choose this option though.
  • September – Colour Challenge Brown: it’s not the most exciting colour by modern standards, but brown has been one of the most common, and popular, colours throughout history. Make something brown.

    Not sure what yet, but I'll either use the 2m of cotton velvet I have in stash or one of the brown lambskins.   On thinking this over I also have some camel coloured wool that would be suitable.


  • October – Sewing Secrets: Hide something in your sewing, whether it is an almost invisible mend, a secret pocket, a false fastening or front, or a concealed message (such as a political or moral allegiance).

    No idea what I'll do for this as yet, wonder if I could do a cap with something hidden in white embroidery
  • November – Silver Screen: Be inspired by period fashions as shown onscreen (film or TV), and recreate your favourite historical costume as a historically accurate period piece.

    Outlander, that is all.
  • December – Re-Do:  It’s the last challenge of the year, so let’s keep things simple by re-doing any of the previous 11 challenges.

    I might redo stashbusting and use some of my stash to make the boys and my husband trousers and smocks for the SCA gathering.

    Now, being realistic I may not get all of these done, possibly not even most, but I do want to make more historical items.   I'll still be knitting and spinning and weaving and quilting and of course I know Ian's school wants me to do some sewing for them as well.   I think there'll need to be less computer time to get everything done.

1 comments:

AnnaPrasad said... Best Blogger Tips

I love following your costume making. Years ago I wanted to be a costume designer. Alas, it never happened... Knitting has taken over for me, but maybe you will inspire me to go back to sewing :-) (www.annatestadoro.com)

Blog Archive