Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Finally the stays are completed!

And they're done early enough that I don't have to put them in the post due on Sunday for the wool blog hop which I'm pleased about.

Not 100% happy with the placement of the shoulder straps

Flat front, this is historically correct I think.

Back lacing more even than last time; I think it'll look better when I lose a little pudge.
The Challenge:  Wood Metal and Bone

Fabric:  3 layers.   Lining is quilting cotton, then there's a layer of something unknown for strength and the top layer is cotton canvas.   I've also used 2 chamois cloths for the binding and polyester ribbon for the lacing.   The boning is all plastic zip ties and I have a wood busk (thanks to Mitre 10 for the wood paint stick).   I'm still working on the lacing I'll use in the end, but that's from linen thread being made into a cord on a lucet.

Pattern: Ralph Pink pattern, upsized.

Year: 1770

Notions: Polyester thread, cotton thread.

How historically accurate is it?  Fairly accurate I think.   The pattern is from an extant garment, though the body in it is definitely modern (need to cut out the sugar), many of the fabrics are fairly similar to what was used originally.   I'd guess at about 80%

Hours to complete:  Many, a lot of handsewing with all those little eyelets and the binding.

First worn:  Just now, been wearing it for close to an hour and my back is much happier in this than it was in the commercial corset I've got.


Total cost:  Probably around $20

In knitting news I've finished the first sock from my pair of Hermione's Everyday Socks

The yarn is from HappyGoKnitty; her shop is not stocked at the moment as she's just moved, but I'm sure she'll be stocking soon.   This yarn is merino/silk.   It was a little cheaper than normal due to some white spots in the yarn, but that didn't particularly bother me; I just love the colour changes!

3 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said... Best Blogger Tips

It looks great! And I love the sock!

Hana - Marmota said... Best Blogger Tips

I think you meant 1770, not 1870. :-)

The stays are pretty - I particularly like the ribbon running along the centre-side seams, because that's definitely something I've seen on extant examples!

Rachelle said... Best Blogger Tips

@Hana - Marmota

Whoops, you're right! Must have been thinking 18th century and got muddled. All fixed now.
By the way, it's not ribbon, it's actually the chamois that I bound it with; thanks for the compliment, I was pleased with it too.

Blog Archive